Thursday, August 19, 2010

Second Week

I've learned several things through our first 2 1/2 weeks of homeschooling.  The first thing I've learned the past two weeks is that my schedule is still a work in progress.  Major tweaking to our daily schedule has been done since we started.  We've gone from a 5 day a week schedule to a 4 day a week schedule (there always seems to be one day a week where we are busy all day long).  I've cut out our manners program and Corbin's BFIAR lessons for now, decreased what we are doing with Jovi's FIAR lessons and added a ten week fairy princess program (it helps motivate Jovi to happily do her handwriting and reading lessons when she has something extra fun to look forward to).  

The second thing I've learned that goes along with scheduling is to never do detailed lesson plans more than two weeks in advance because I'll have to pretty much rewrite them from scratch if I do.

The third thing I've learned, at least I'm working on learning, is that less is more.  Sure, there are tons of fun, interesting things that I can teach Jovi.  Things that we can have fun doing together.   But I have to focus on my educational goals for Jovi and plan the important stuff, like reading, math and handwriting first.  Jovi can only deal with parent led activities (and it doesn't seem to matter what type) for about an hour before she needs an unstructured break so planning less content for other areas helps us get through everything in a day.

The fourth thing I've learned is to have outside time in the morning, it is just too darn HOT to go out any other time except for the occasional pool trip. (duh moment, how could I not have known that growing up here)

The fifth thing I've learned is that we are really, really addicted to TV.  Cutting down is easier when you have fun stuff to do, but the kids still watch a lot of TV everyday and request more than I let them watch.  Does anyone have some suggestions?  I've been thinking about totally cutting it out for a few weeks, but I'm a bit scared.  What am I going to do when the kids are going crazy and I'm all out of energy or when I'm trying to make dinner and Corbin is either making a huge mess or tearing up things that don't need tearing up?  Right now I turn on the TV and and we all get a little break.  I've tried a few other options with not so great results, but I'm willing to try again.  There are a lot of reasons to watch less tv with young children, my mom sends me research articles about it.  Learning disabilities and ADHD symptoms are more likely in children who watch a lot (being more than 2 hours a day) of tv along with lower IQs, and that's not even talking about content and what kids are learning (although we rarely watch anything other than movies, PBS or qubo when the kids are in the room). Anyway, if you have some ideas, please send them my way.

So on to the actual week...Last week we read  Lentil (Picture Puffins) about a little boy who saves the day with his harmonica.  I think it is a favorite with Jovi.  With our new 4 day a week program we are doing a week and a half (or 6 days) with each book so we finished the lessons on Tuesday.  The two highlights of the week were getting Jovi her own ($3 from Walmart) harmonica and making lemonade (lemons play a big role in the story).  Here is the lemonade that we made together, it was yummy.
Photobucket

Last week we did one Before Five In A Row Lesson, we read  Goodnight Moon and then we made puffy paint and painted moon and star pictures on black poster board.  This puffy paint was a lot of fun.  You mix 1 cup of glue, 3 cups of shaving cream and a little paint together, draw a shape on the poster board and then fingerpaint with it. 


Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Here are some things I've learned about art projects, especially paint projects, with small children (most were learned through some painful errors).  Do all art over tile or linoleum (never carpet).  Have all supplies ready before starting.  Have an art only tablecloth.  Strip your kids, have them wear an art smock or clothing you truly don't care about because even if it is supposed to be washable, it isn't always true.  The last and most important, don't do ANYTHING else except watch and help the kids during an art project.  This is IMPERATIVE, turn your back for one minute and that awesome puffy paint could be all over your walls.  Art is fun, especially using paints, but it does take some effort to have a positive experience.

Here are the two folders Jovi has made to go with her FIAR lessons.  All the minibooks are from homeschoolshare .  Jovi likes making things like this, otherwise I don't think I'd bother.  I originally thought they would be great for reviewing lessons and what we learned throughout the week, but Jovi doesn't show any interest in reviewing things.  It is a cool way for ME to remember what we've done and maybe she'll like looking through them some time in the future.  (I can hope can't I?)
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

Hope you enjoyed. :)

No comments: