Thursday, June 17, 2010

Potty Training Woes

A dressed up Princess Jovi just came up and asked me, "Do you have a secret past?"  I said, "Noooo, should I?".  To which she answered a decisive, "Yes."  I said, " ok, I have a secret past.".  Then she asked, "Where is it?  Is it in your room?".  lol  Where do kids get these crazy ideas?  I tried to explain what a "secret past" is, but I don't think she got it. 

Anyway, I got on here to write about Corbin and potty training.  (future info may be a bit graphic, I talk about poop)  Corbin has occasionally been using the potty for a few months now and shows lots of interest.  He wakes up dry from naps and very clearly knows when he is pooping because he hides and tells us to leave him alone.  So two weeks or so ago I bought him some undies and even sewed him a few pairs (need to get a picture of them on here), but I used this pattern and really enjoyed making them.  I got him a book and my mother got him an even cuter book He sounded like he was totally on board, ready to be a big boy in undies.

He was not totally on board.  He started out excited, but refused to poop on the potty.  He waits till I put him in a diaper and when not offered that choice just goes in his undies.  I don't know what to do about it, but it has lead to an overall potty training issue.  Today he doesn't even want to pee in the potty.  Whenever I ask if he wants to go he gets angry with me.  Somehow forcing a wiggling, crying two year old onto the toilet seems worse than useless to me.  He had two accidents this morning and after the first one he hid from me which scared me to death.  He has started opening the front and back doors and ran outside and two houses down before I caught him a few days ago.  I was SO afraid that somehow he had gone out the back door unnoticed, but he was hiding behind my bedroom door quieter than I've ever seen him before for 5 whole mintues.  Anyway, after the second accident I put him back in diapers and he's been happy with that ever since.  Maybe I need to make a bigger deal about diapers being for babies, maybe I just need to wait a few months.  I don't know.  Maybe it is just today and tomorrow will go better.

1 comment:

Stacee said...

Hi, Rachel! Hope you guys are happy and well in Frisco. Potty training... moms should get extra pay for these years. I know every case is different, and you will find what works for you. With Taylor I had a similar situation. I just went back to diapers for awhile (a few months) until I felt like she was interested again, and then she stuck with it. GOOD LUCK!!