Wednesday, April 28, 2010

More Bunnies

A week ago we were working in our very small garden (we have three 2 foot squares). While I was adding some compost to the strawberries I noticed a hole in the dirt near the corner of the box. I investigated further, lots of grass and rabbit fur. I pulled it back and found five, yes FIVE, baby bunnies. Their eyes were open, but they were only the size of hamsters, smaller than our last set of bunnies. Unfortunately they were crushing my strawberry plants so I felt we needed to move them. Juan dug a burrow for them nearby and we all had fun moving the bunnies to their new home. I tried to get a picture of all of them, but it proved impossible, they were fast.

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

That night we saw mommy bunny come. We had a great view from our master bedroom windows into the yard. She was recognizably confused. It was as if she was saying where are my babies?!?! I was really worried that she wouldn't find them and thought about moving them back even if it hurt the strawberries, but by the morning she had obviously found them. Unless someone came into the yard she sat near the new burrow watching over her babies. We checked on them once each day and I am truly amazed at how fast they grew. By Friday they were a little bigger than the other bunnies we found and by Saturday they were gone.

No comments: