Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Potty Training

Photobucket

So, I go into a bit of detail on this post.  If you are squeamish consider yourself warned.  I am going into a bit of detail because I can't remember Jovi's potty training experience at all and wish I did, at least the basics.  I know she trained shortly after Corbin was born (which might explain why I can't remember) and I'm assuming it was fairly quick and painless because I DON"T remember and I can usually remember traumatic events. 

We tried potty training Corbin back about 6 months ago.  He got the pee thing down really quickly, but refused to poop in the potty.  Yes, I know we are supposed to use the correct words, but we don't.  Then a week into it he decided he didn't want to use the potty at all.  Several accidents later I gave up.  We still talked to him a lot about using the potty.  We read potty books.  He would occasionally ask to pee on the potty, and go, so I knew the connection was there.  He wanted nothing to do with pooping on the potty.  I decided not to push until last month.  I started telling him that three year olds at our house had to wear undies and use the potty.  I was very matter of fact about it.  It is just the way things are.  He would say he still wanted his diapers.  I would tell him all the great things he could do when he was potty trained like go to the IKEA kids class and stuff. 

Then, the day after his birthday, I pulled out the undies, Jovi's old potty chair, some serious bribes (including M&Ms and monster trucks) and we were ready to go.  If Corbin sat on the potty and "tried" he got a couple of M&Ms, if he actually went, he got more M&Ms, if he went poop he got a monster truck.  The first two days there were some accidents, but after that he was pee trained.  He has had 2 accidents since those first two days and he was really involved when they happened.  You could tell he totally forgot he needed to go.  Pooping was much harder, her really fought it.  He would hold it and complain about tummy aches until he couldn't hold it anymore and then he would go, but it would hurt and so he wouldn't want to go anymore and hold it... it was a vicious cycle.  About the second week he got a handle on it and I am happy to report he is now fully potty trained.  The bribes went away very naturally, none were needed (or even asked for) by the end of the second week.  I don't even have to ask him if he needs to go (the answer is always no when I ask), he comes and tells me.  I have no more children in diapers, I can't say I'm sad about that.  It is exciting to be a diaper free household. 

No comments: