Thursday, May 6, 2010

Addition to Previous Post

Ok, after additional reading I am NOT going with Teach Your Child To Read In 100 Easy Lessons. Apparently it is boring and can be hard to transition to regular print since they use special symbols with certain sounds. Instead I want to share a fun, FREE site that I used while I was teaching in special ed., Starfall. I actually taught children to read using this website and their books. They have really developed their program since then. I've let Jovi play on it occasionally and she liked it, but when I started her she didn't have the patience to go through each lesson. Anyway, being on the computer is really motivating for kids and Starfall does a good job introducing sounds, but you'll probably have to sit next to a younger kid to make sure they go through the lesson appropriately instead of just playing. I am thinking about getting their teaching guides and using it as my reading curriculum. We will see. It's a great site no matter what I choose though.

No comments: